Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 1 Points Plus

Today I begin a new adventure in dieting and blogging. Since graduating college five years ago I have constantly been on and off of a diet.  I even successfully lost 50 pounds on weight watchers.  I also successfully gained half of it back.  So today I want to share with you my experience in what I hope is my last need to diet, EVER.  Well, realistically until  I have children at least!  AND that is so far in the future that this weight loss should last me a few years.  

Today as I begin my new journey in weight loss, I am giving the new Weight Watchers Points Plus program a try.  As a mentioned, I have previously been successful on the old Weight Watchers regular points system of measuring Calories vs Fat vs Fiber.  Sooooo I have been quite the skeptic since WW released the Points Plus program in November of last year.  (First of all, who releases a new diet program the week after Thanksgiving??  Talk about unrealistic expectations!)  This new system measures Fat vs Carbs vs Protein vs Fiber. 

I have been very cynical about starting this new program for a few reasons.  First of all, I was pretty much such a pro at the old program that I could look at a food and instantly tell you how many points it was.  This new system through everything for a major loop.  Weight Watchers had become a way of life, so the thought of having to re-learn points on everything was just not appealing to me.  Looking back I have just been to lazy to learn the new program.  The key to being successful on a diet is successful planning and I have just been to darn lazy to think about planning for the new program.  This morning I actually took the time to label EVERYTHING in my cabinets and fridge with the new points to get started.

My second cynicism about this new program is that it looks like it's become a low carb way of dieting!  Essentially if something is high in carbs you are punished with a higher point value.  I guess the one thing i haven't mentioned is that you do get more points per day than on the old program to help make up for this.... but that's not the point!   Finally my biggest peeve with the new program is that I feel like they took something that was sooo simple, and made it more complicated, hence making the program harder to stick with. 


So, I sit here tonight at the end of my first day only having gone over by one point.  I consider this quite the success considering I went to a baby shower today in which there was both cupcakes and wine! (Another sore spot, wine went from 2 points to 4!!)  Since I feel I should end my first blog today on a positive note, one plus of the new program is that all Fruits are FREE!  I am going to go back to watching tv and eating my blackberries and sugar free jello, because they are both zero points and hope that my diet and blogging skills improve over the next few months :)



2 comments:

  1. woohoo! I am your first official follower! Can't wait to read more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can do it, you can.

    ReplyDelete